Try this seafood-packed chowder spiced up with Salty Wahine’s Hot Lava Spice – You have to try this one! Visit Salty Wahine website to learn about all of our great Hawaiian Sugars & Spices!!
Salty Wahine’s Seafood Chowder
- 1/2 pound bacon medium chopped
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup Maui sweet onions chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Salty Wahine Hawaiian Rub
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 Molokai sweet potatoes peeled and medium diced
- 1 russet potato peeled and medium diced
- 4 cups clam juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 pounds little neck clams shucked, chopped (or you can use 1 or 2 10oz cans clams)
- 1 pound mahi mahi (or any firm white fish)
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crab meat chopped
- 1/2 pound scallops
- 2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- Salty Wahine Hot Lava
- Cook bacon in a heavy stock pot, over medium-high heat until crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions. sweet onions, celery and carrots.
- Saute for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Season the vegetables with the Hawaiian Rub.
- Add the bay leaves. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Stir in the clam juice.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the mixture until the potatoes are fork tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the cream and bring up to simmer.
- Add the clams, fish, shrimp, crab, and scallops and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley. Season with Hot Lava on top.
- Ladle into shallow bowls and serve.