Rate This Recipe:
Vegan Loco Moco
We traveled to Hawaii this summer because I was presenting at a conference for work. I have heard great things about the vegan options there and was happy to explore the islands to find vegan food. I was extremely pleased with a vegan loco moco that I had at the Downbeat Diner in Honolulu. Loco moco is a traditional Hawaiian meal, usually made up of white rice, a meat patty, brown gravy, and eggs. There are many variations of this, but it was a real treat to have a vegan version. Recipe courtesy of Amber of tuxedocat.us
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 recipe of preferred tofu scramble
- 2 vegan sausage patties (I prefer Gardein breakfast patties)
- 1 cup of vegan brown gravy
- Frank’s Hot Sauce or Sriracha (optional)
- Cook the brown rice as per instructions on the stove top, or in a pressure or rice cooker. Set aside.
- Prepare your preferred tofu scramble recipe. I love Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s tofu scramble from Vegan Brunch.
- In this variation, I added diced red pepper and onions. Prepare your vegan gravy (using a prepared version or make your own from scratch). I used an organic vegan brown gravy packet that I mixed with water on the stove top for simplicity.
- Heat your vegan sausage patties in a skillet as your tofu scramble is finishing up. Scoop a cup of rice on a large plate and pat down.
- Place your sausage patty on top of the rice. Cover with a few tablespoons of brown gravy.
- Top with tofu scramble. Add a few dashes of hot sauce or sriracha if you desire.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 563kcalCarbohydrates: 58gProtein: 29gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 940mgPotassium: 259mgFiber: 5gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 32IUVitamin B1: 0.3mgVitamin B5: 1mgVitamin C: 0.3mgCalcium: 271mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!