The days have come and gone when Shrimp Cocktail was on every restaurant menu. It remains a popular appetizer, a dish that will impress your guests, no matter how simple the recipe is.
This Citrus Shrimp Cocktail with Wasabi Cocktail Sauce version adds some wonderful flavors. I love the addition of Japanese wasabi to a typical cocktail sauce recipe. Feel free to add the wasabi paste according to your taste.
Citrus Shrimp Cocktail with Wasabi Cocktail Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp peeled, deveined, tails left on
- 1 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ice bath, as needed
Wasabi Cocktail Sauce:
- 1 c. catsup
- 1 TB prepared horseradish, to taste
- 3-4 tsp. wasabi (Japanese horseradish) paste, to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch white pepper
- In a saucepan combine all ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; stirring.
- Immediately remove from heat; allow to sit 2-3 minutes; until shrimp is cooked through.
- Transfer shrimp into ice bath; drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sauce ingredients.
How To Serve:
- For service: Place shrimp in serving dishes/cups.
- Spoon sauce into individual serving/dipping bowls.
- Serves 2-4.