Big-wave surfer Ian Walsh is well-recognized in his Maui community and across the world for charging some of the biggest waves on the planet, most notably at his home break, Jaws. What most people don’t know about him is his commitment to community service.
In 2003, he launched the Ian Walsh Menehune Mayhem Surf Event, a youth surf contest that honors the up-and-coming surf talent in Maui, Ian says this is probably his greatest accomplishment so far.
We also found that Ian is quite accomplished in the kitchen as well. His cooking show on YouTube called Kitchen Captain has garnered thousands of views so we knew it was time to get him in our kitchen.
Rate This Recipe:
Smash Burgers by Big Wave Surfer Ian Walsh
- 4 Brioche Burger Buns
- 1 Lb. Ground beef
- 4 slices American cheese
- 8 slices Butter lettuce
- 1/2 Tomato sliced thick
- 1/2 Maui onion sliced
- To taste Ketchup
- To taste Yellow mustard
- To taste Fresh pepper
- To taste Course kosher salt
- dab Oil to coat pan
- Heat cast iron skillet on stove top.
- Put a dab of oil on a napkin and rub into skillet.
- Mix ground beef into 2 oz. balls, each serving needs 2.
- Wrap a pot with aluminum foil to cover the bottom.
- Place one ball on hot skillet and smash down with the pot keeping pressure with your hand on the pot (use a towel between your hand and pot) for 1-2 minutes, sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Flip burger and smash again with pot and cook for about 30 seconds longer.
- Place a slice of cheese on the burger and set aside.
- Clean pan between cooking with a paper towel.
- Repeat the same for the next one and place the 2nd cooked burger on top of the cheese of the first one. Keep somewhere enclosed to keep warm while you finish cooking.
- When all burgers are done, clean pan and toast buns on heated skillet.
- Then build your burger.
- Lettuce on the bottom bun, then add the burger, then add the tomato, then onion and add ketchup and mustard on your top bun, close and serve.