Big-wave surfer Ian Walsh is well-recognized in his Maui community and across the world for charging some of the biggest waves on the planet, most notably at his home break, Jaws. What most people don’t know about him is his commitment to community service.
In 2003, he launched the Ian Walsh Menehune Mayhem Surf Event, a youth surf contest that honors the up-and-coming surf talent in Maui, Ian says this is probably his greatest accomplishment so far.
We also found that Ian is quite accomplished in the kitchen as well. His cooking show on YouTube called Kitchen Captain has garnered thousands of views so we knew it was time to get him in our kitchen. He cooked Baked Feta Dish in Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen.
Baked Feta Dish by big wave surfer Ian Walsh
- 8 oz. Macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- 2 baskets Fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 block (8 oz.) Feta cheese
- 1 bunch Fresh basil
- 1 head Fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- To taste Fresh pepper
- To taste salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the tomatoes and pour in to a glass pan with sides at least 2 inches.
- The tomatoes should fill the pan.
- Pour the olive oil over the tomatoes, keeping a little for the feta.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir all together with your hand so everything is coated well.
- Take your feta and place it in the middle of the tomatoes making sure the bottom is on the pan.
- Drizzle the remaining oil on the feta.
- Add more pepper to the feta.
- Bake on top rack for 35 minutes.
- Boil water for pasta in medium pot.
- Clean, then smash and dice the garlic.
- Cut basil and separate 3/4ths for main dish, 1/4th for garnish.
- Add 8ozs of noodles, your preference, macaroni is good.
- When cooked put 1 cup of the water from pot in a coffee cup and set aside.
- Strain noodles to remove the water.
- Change pasta in oven to broil setting and keep in oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add basil and garlic and mix in pan, thoroughly mixing in the cheese and all ingredients.
- Add strained pasta, then mix again and fold pasta into the mixture.
- If you need more sauce to cover the pasta add the cup of water you removed, if not, serve and eat.