We always had some type of sushi rice dish at family gatherings at my grandma’s house. Not necessarily traditional rolled sushi, but sushi rice. Seasoned, beautifully garnished, served in a bowl, sometimes right out of the rice cooker. I remember how beautifully garnished the dish was, always thinking how it must’ve taken my aunty long to prepare it for us to enjoy.
Topped with red ginger, yellow tamagoyaki strips, green onions, bright red and green shrimp flakes. This is another popular sushi dish, very simple as everything goes into the rice cooker. Great to take for pot luck.
Kai Meshi (Mixed Rice with Clams)
- 2 c. rice
- 2 c. water
- 1 ( 6 oz.) can kogai ajitsuke (seasoned clams), including liquid
- 1 c. carrots, small dice
- 1/2 (76 oz) block kamaboko (fish cake), slivered
- 4 dried mushrooms, soaked, stems removed, chopped
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
- 1 TB sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. frozen peas, thawed
- In a rice cooker, rinse rice; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, except peas.
- Mix well; cook until done, about 20 minutes.
How To Serve:
- Mix and serve.
- Makes 8 servings.