NYC Fashion week designer Kumu Micah Kamohoalii of Dezigns By Kamohoalii shares his recipe for Kalo Poke Salad.
Many may know Micah as the renowned kumu hula of Halau Na Kipu’upu’u from Waimea Hawaii, or you may know him as the Director of Waimea Homesteads Association or the descendent of kapa makers and today has used these same family traditions to continue a legacy of Hawaiian artistry.
Few may know his love for cooking and so we are thrilled to share that part of this extraordinary man in this episode of Cooking Hawaiian Style. As in everything else he does, Micah cooks with love.
Rate This Recipe:
Kalo Poke Salad by Kumu Micah Kamohoalii
- 2 lb. kalo medium dice
- 3 oz. ogo seaweed or limu of your choice, chopped
- 1 round sweet onion diced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 oz. green onion chopped
- 1 oz. ginger minced
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Hawaiian chilli pepper minced
- 1 oz. sesame oil
- 1 oz. chlli oil
- 1/2 cup Shoyu of your choice
- sprinkle ʻinamona
- to taste Hawaiian salt
- Boil kalo in lightly salted water until tender, that is until a fork can pierce the tuber with little resistance.
- Drain the water, rinse with cold water and set the taro in a colander to dry.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix lightly.