Every great cooking show has an even more amazing kitchen staff. Our awesome staff is lead by our Cooking Hawaiian Style Chef, Kino Carrillo. There is a lot that goes on behind the camera with prepping all the guests ingredients, pre-cooking dishes, and timing out recipes.
The young and talented Chef Kino has been on our set for 8 seasons and his experience is invaluable to our shows success. Chef Kino comes out from behind the scene to share his ono and shrimp tempura recipe with us.
Rate This Recipe:
Ono and Shrimp Tempura with Chef Kino Carrillo
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Ice water
- 6 oz of Ono
- 6 oz of Shrimp
- 1/3 cup opae (dried shrimp)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp minced pickled onions
- 1 diced Hawaiian chili pepper
- Sift the flour.
- Combine with the egg and ice cold water in a bowl.
- Stir but DON’T overmix.
- Cut the Ono into strips and coat them in the batter.
- Fry in oil until golden brown. Repeat with the shrimp.
- Blend the opae in a blender to a coarse texture.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pickled onion, chili pepper, and mix.
How To Serve
- Serve the Shrimp & Ono with the opae dipping sauce.