For those of you that live in the mainland and want to be able to make fresh poi any time of year, you really need to try pai’ai. Pai’ai is taro that has been hand pounded with very little water. It will last indefinitely in an airtight pouch kept in a cool place. For those of you that live in Hawaii, once you try poi made from pai’ai, you won’t ever want to buy store-bought poi again.
For more information about pai’ai and how to order it online, please visit www.manaai.com
Rate This Recipe:
- 1 lb of pai'ai
- 16-20 ounces of water
- To make poi from pai'ai, all you have to do is open the package of pai'ai,
- cut it into 1"-2" squares.
- Put cut pieces in a rice cooker/steamer. Add about 8-10 ounces of water and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once Steamed, use a rice paddle or other utensil to mix the steamed pai'ai until it is smooth.
- Remove pai'ai from steamer/rice cooker and into a bowl. Slowly add a little bit of water at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!