Watch Popo June Tong as she makes her famous shrimp toast pupu on Cooking Hawaiian Style!
Popo June Tongs Shrimp Toast
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 lb. frozen shrimp, cleaned & deveined
- 1/4 lb. bacon, minced
- 1/4 lb. ground pork
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, minced
- 1/4 cup Chinese parsley (cilantro), minced
- 1 egg white
- 2 T cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cup oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients and season.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Trim crust off of bread slices and cut each slice into 4 triangular pieces.
- Heat oil to about 350 degrees. Put about a tablespoon of filling on bread pieces and ensure that each mound of filling is placed firmly onto each piece of bread.
- Place each piece in hot oil with the filling side down. Cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes).
- Drain on paper towel.