I was invited to a pot luck dinner party, with a vegetarian menu. This, along with a Fried Tofu With Wasabi Oil and Soy Sauce Syrup recipe was my second dish. A take on the very popular Black Bean Clams recipe. The black bean flavor goes well with the tofu.
Rate This Recipe:
Black Bean Tofu
- 1 1/2 TB peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 TB fresh ginger, grated
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 2 TB black beans, soaked in water, drained
- 1/4 c. green onion, chopped
- 1 block (20 oz.) firm tofu, drained, cubed
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 TB each Shao Hsing (Chinese Rice Wine), dry sherry, oyster sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch, with 2 TB water
- 1 TB sesame seeds, toasted, crushed
- In a wok over high heat, stir-fry garlic, ginger and bell pepper in oil.
- Add black beans, and onion; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add tofu, broth, wine, sherry and oyster sauce; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture until thickened.
How To Serve:
- For Service: garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serves 4-6.