I remember growing up and buying boiled peanuts from Lau Poo market in Pauoa valley. I used to love walking into the aroma-filled store on Saturday mornings. You could almost taste the boiled peanuts and manapua.
I’m not really sure how and when boiled peanuts made its way to hawaii, but they are very simillar to the boiled peanuts that you find in the South.
Rate This Recipe:
Boiled Peanuts Featuring Ono Hawaiian Seasoning
- Put peanuts into a large pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of hawaiian salt.
- Cover with Water.
- Allow to soak for 24 hours (1 full day) ** This is very important.
- After soaking for 1 day, drain water.
- Add 1/2 cup of hawaiian salt or Ono Hawaiian Seasoning.
- Add 2.5 Teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice Seasoning.
- Fill pot with waterBoil for 2 – 2.5 hours until tender.
- Turn off Heat and allow peanuts to sit in water for 2 hours (this allows the seasoned water to re-penetrate the peanut shell so the peanuts are juicy).
- Drain water from pot and eat warm or put in containers in refrigerator.