I love brussels sprouts with bacon but I wanted to try something different so I decided to make this dish local-style using Portuguese sausage.
The flavor is absolutely wonderful and is the perfect combination of sweet, savory salty that I love so much!
Local-Style Brussels Sprouts w/Portuguese Sausage
- 1/2 cup Portuguese sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Aloha Aloha shoyu
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 1/4 cup water
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Remove skin of Portuguese sausage.
- Chop sausage into fine bits and cook on medium high heat until the fat is rendered out of the sausage and the bits are nice and crispy.
- Remove bits from pan and set aside.
- Using a paper towel, take out most of the fat from the pan leaving about 1-2 tablespoons of the fat from the sausage.
- Add garlic, olive oil and brussels sprouts and brown the sprouts in the hot oil for a few minutes.
- Add 1/4 water and allow sprouts to steam in covered pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, turn heat to high and allow all remaining liquid to cook off.
- Once this is done, turn heat off, add butter and season with shoyu, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cracked pepper and parmesan cheese optional.