Frank DeLima cooked two of his Mom’s recipes on the set of Cooking Hawaiian Style: Malasadas and Portuguese Bean Soup. If you get a chance, try to catch his episode on OC16.
He is absolutely hilarious and destroys the set with laugher! You can watch Frank DeLima’s episode for the next two weeks on https://OC16.tv – You will laugh!
Rate This Recipe:
Frank DeLima’s Portuguese Bean Soup
- 4 lbs. Ham Shanks (you can mix ham hocks and ham shanks if you want)
- 2 large mild Portuguese sausage
- 1 small bag of elbow macaroni
- 1 bag Taro Brand Just Enough diced onions
- 2 russet Potatoes
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 big bunch watercress
- 1 bag Taro Brand Just Enough Stew Cut carrots
- 1 bag small kidney beans
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Put Ham Shanks/ham hocks, sliced onions and minced garlic in a large pot.
- Fill pot with water up to 6 inches above hamhocks/shanks.
- Bring to boil then simmer on medium heat util meat falls of the bone (4-5hrs).
- Remove the skin and bones.
- Put in dry small kidney beans and boil util beans are half cooked (about 1 hour).
- Add all vegetables (stew size) and bring to boi,
- l then turn fire off and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked macaroni when time to serve soup. Keep mac separate or it will melt.