The entire house smells like Christmas while this cake is baking. I was craving the gingerbread flavor without the gingerbread man cookie effort. Gingerbread cake to the rescue!
It took me 10.34.05.37 minutes (thank you iPhone stopwatch) to make the batter and get this cake into the oven. That didn’t include wrestling the baking pan out from under it’s stack of smaller baking pans in the cabinet. But it did include melting the butter.
I like full-flavor gingerbread where the spices are assertive. This cake is moist and delicious on it’s own, but even better served with a dollop of whipped cream and a scoop of unsweetened applesauce.
For more delicious, healthful recipes go to www.preheatto350.com
Rate This Recipe:
Gingerbread Snacking Cake – Lower Carb, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free
- 8 teaspoon butter melted (coconut oil for dairy free)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups almond flour (also called almond meal), preferably Honeyville (which is more finely ground)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup dark molasses (also called “full flavor,” not blackstrap)
- 1/4 cup xylitol (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (coconut milk for dairy free)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- Note: this batter may be mixed by hand, with a hand blender, or in a standing mixer
- Grease a 9?x13? baking pan (I use the Pyrex pan) with butter or oil.
- Melt butter on low heat, if using. While the butter is melting assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add all the other ingredients. Add the melted butter or oil. Stir to combine with a large spatula or on medium speed with a mixer. Taste batter for sweetness and add a little more xylitol if desired.
- Put batter in greased baking pan and put in oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center of cake feels somewhat firm when touched with your finger, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Do not over bake. A tiny bit under baked is better than over baked.
- Allow to cool a little (may be served warm) and serve with whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream) and unsweetened apple sauce.
How To Serve:
- 8 – 10 Servings.