2015 Big Wave World Champion Makua Rothman joins us on the set of Cooking Hawaiian Style and shows us some of the heathier recipes that he makes while training and on tour to maintain his physical health. Makua also sings his song “Lovely” at the end of the episode.
Rate This Recipe:
Makua Rothmans Steamed Fish
- 1 whole fish cleaned and scaled
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger julienned
- 1 cup peanut oil heated in pan to 325 degrees
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups Aloha Shoyu
- Make diagonal cuts on both sides of the fish.
- Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper.
- Add ginger slices into the diagonal slices and on the inside of the fish. You can use more or less according to your preference.
- Put whole fish in steamer and cook for about 12-15 minutes.
- Add sugar and Aloha shoyu to a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat stirring constantly to avoid burning.
How To Serve:
- Remove fish from oven.
- Pour sauce over entire fish.
- Heat oil in sauce pan and carefully pour over entire fish.
- Serve hot!