Chef Nick Magaoay of the Four Seasons Resort Lanai joins us on Cooking Hawaiian Style to make a smoked salt seared ahi served on a watercress tofu salad.
Chef Nick Magaoay’s Smokey Seared Ahi With Watercress Salad
Smokey Seared Ahi with Watercress Tofu Salad
- 4-5 oz. block fresh Ahi, yellow fin
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked Hawaiian salt
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper, fresh crushed
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, for searing
Watercress Salad with Dressing
- 1/4 cup watercress, chopped
- 1/4 cup tofu, cubed or sliced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 ounce red onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Aloha shoyu
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon brown cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons ginger root, fine grated no fiber.
- Season ahi block evenly on all sides with oil, smoked salt and black pepper.
- Heat saute pan with lite oil for searing of the ahi block.
- Place ahi in pan once pan is hot.
- Seared on all sides evenly for 7-10 seconds.
- Keeping majority of the fish rare. let rest for 2 minutes and slice thin with a sharp knife.
Salad with Dressing
- Mix shoyu, sesame oil, sugar and oil and serve over fresh water cress, soft tofu, tomatoes and thin sliced red onions.
- Drizzle dressing over ahi and salad just before serving.