Ono Aku Bone – When fresh whole fish was brought home to our house. The kids all waiting for the fish to be scaled, cleaned, cut and most importantly, for the bones to be cooked.
Once a common dish, the bones have become so popular it has become harder and harder to find in the marketplace.
Rate This Recipe:
Ono Aku Bone
- 1 lb. aku (or ahi) bones
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Hawaiian Salt
- 1 TB garlic salt
- 1 TB cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- oil for frying
- Combine flour, salts and peppers in a pie pan.
- Rinse aku bone and dredge in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, fry aku bones until browned and crisp.
- Serves not enough.
How To Serve:
- Serve as is, no sauce, no napkins; lick your fingers dry.
- Variation: Substitute 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon pepper for salts and peppers.
- Good with salmon bones too.