I welcomed a good friend of mine into the Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen, Avian Ku. Avian may be familiar to you from her role in the Netflix Show “Terrace House: The Aloha State.”
She tells us her time on the show inspired her clothing brand I LA SWIM. “LA” means island in French, which represents her love of nature, surf and sea, but also how she identifies herself. Her swimwear lifestyle brand was inspired by Hawaiiʻs beauty.
Avian was born on Oahu, spent much of her youth in Japan and grew up speaking mandarin which came in handy when she went to Shanghai, China to study Chinese and business.
We are excited to feature Avian this week as we celebrate Chinese New Year 2022. She shares her own recipe of a traditional Chinese dish which some say was created more than 1800 years ago.
Rate This Recipe:
Pork Dumplings by Avian Ku of I La Swim
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup green onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 scallion (finely minced)
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage (finely shredded)
- 2 slices fresh ginger (finely minced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup black fungus
- 1/2 vermicelli
- 1 pkg dumpling wraps
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Scoop about 1 Tbsp of the filling and place it in center of wrapper.
- Seal sides well.
- Add dumplings one at a time into the boiling water.
- Stir water gently and continuously until it starts to boil again.
- Once it starts to boil, add more water, once it starts boiling again, add more water again, do this once more, then its ready.