This Filipino recipe for pork and kabocha squash is from the Cooking Hawaiian Style TV show on OC16. Be sure to catch Ron’s episode on Cooking Hawaiian Style.
Rate This Recipe:
Chef Ron De Guzman’s Pork & Squash
This Filipino recipe for pork and kabocha squash is from the Cooking Hawaiian Style TV show on OC16. Be sure to catch Ron's episode on Cooking Hawaiian Style.
- Microwave Oven
- Vitamix Blender
- Sauce Pot
Crispy Pork Belly
- 1 lb. Pork Belly
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorn
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1/2 Kabocha squash seeds removed
- Marscapone cheese to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
Pork and Squash
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients to a pan, cover pork belly with water ¾ of the way.
- Cook until pork is fork tender.
- Remove from pan and cover with parchment paper and cool in refrigerator over night.
- When ready to serve, cut to desired size and fry until crispy brown.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cut Kabocha in half, remove seeds.
- In a pan, add Kabocha and 1cup water.
- Cover with foil and bake until tender.
- Remove pulp and add to a vitamix blender, add cheese, salt and butter and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Reserve until ready to use.
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pot and reduce to a syrup like consistency.
- Cool and reserve until ready to use.
- When ready to serve, drizzle balsamic reduction on the plate spoon about 1 cup of the kabocha puree on the plate.
- Place a piece of pork belly on the kabocha puree and garnish with additional balsamic reduction or your favorite grilled vegetables.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!