NYC Fashion week designer Kumu Micah Kamohoalii of Dezigns By Kamohoalii shares his recipe for Fresh Watermelon Salad.
Many may know Micah as the renowned kumu hula of Halau Na Kipu’upu’u from Waimea Hawaii, or you may know him as the Director of Waimea Homesteads Association or the descendent of kapa makers and today has used these same family traditions to continue a legacy of Hawaiian artistry.
Few may know his love for cooking and so we are thrilled to share that part of this extraordinary man in this episode of Cooking Hawaiian Style. As in everything else he does, Micah cooks with love.
Rate This Recipe:
Fresh Watermelon Salad by Kumu Micah Kamohoalii
- 1/2 seedless watermelon cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup basil chopped
- 4 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 small lemon squeezed
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Place the chopped ingredients in a bowl, toss.
- Whisk together the lemon, balsamic, olive oil, mustard, honey and garlic.
- Add the salt and pepper and taste to check the seasoning.
- Add additional honey if desired or more vinegar.
- Add dressing to salad and serve.