Ridge Lenny is a professional ocean athlete and business owner born and raised on the beautiful island of Maui. He spends countless hours in the ocean, training in the gym, and operating two businesses, so we were happy to get him into the Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen.
Ridge is the younger brother of professional big wave surfer Kai Lenny. Both say their love of the ocean came from their parents who raised them on the beach enjoying all water activities.
These days you can find Ridge surfing massive waves at Peahi on his home island, or cruising atop the ocean, wing fishing.
Rate This Recipe:
ʻOlena Papio Tacos with Cabbage Kale Slaw by professional surfer Ridge Lenny
Ingredients for Fish Tacos:
- 1 Small Fresh Papio or whatever fish you can source
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 6 Small taco tortilla
- 1 Tbsp. Chili powder
- 1/3 Tbsp. 'Olena (turmeric)
- 1/3 Tbsp. Paprika
- 1/3 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1/4 Tbsp. Pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 Lime
Ingredients for Slaw:
- 16 ozs Cole slaw package
- 8 ozs Kale (chopped small)
- 1/4 cup Maui onion ranch dressing (or dressing of your liking)
- Add all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Clean and de-bone fish.
- Cut fish into small bite slices.
- Place fish into a mixing bowl.
- Season fish by sprinkling dry ingredients mixture over and thoroughly coating fish.
- In a pan heat half the olive oil and garlic.
- Add cut fish and sear fish.
- In separate pan heat the remainder of the oil and warm up tortillas in pan.
- Add cole slaw, kale and dressing in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place heated tortilla on plate.
- Add a heaping scoop of slaw on tortilla.
- Add seared fish atop slaw.
- Cut and squeeze lime juice atop fish.
- Add chopped cilantro.