Rate This Recipe:
Sizzling Bombucha Kauai Shrimp w/Lup Cheong Chili Crunch Butter by Matt Dela Cruz of Humble Market Kitchen
Matt Dela Cruz is the Executive Chef at Humble Market Kitchin in Wailea. Born and raised in the plantation town of Waimea Kauaʻi where he credits the beginning of his food journey. Matt graduated from Kauai Community College Culinary Arts program and began working for Roy Yamaguchi evetually as the Executive Chef of Poipu Grill and Bar. Besides the continual training provided by Yamaguchi, Dela Cruz is an avid reader of industry magazines, cookbooks and admits to being a devoted Food Network fan. But all that education won’t be put to good use if he doesn’t push his limits, he says. In the restaurant, Dela Cruz’s knowledge of different food cultures combined with Roy’s signature style allows for endless possibilities. Matt says he prides himself in perpetuating Royʻs Hawaiian fusion style with his chefs and cooks.
Ingredients For Chili Crunch:
- 1 pkg lup cheong sausage (ground)
- 1 cup ginger minced
- 1 cup shallots minced
- 2 qts Mirin
- 1 gal Salad oil
- 1 cup Whole black peppercorn
- 1/2 cup Whole coriander
- 1/4 cup Achiote seeds
- 1 cup Star anise
- 1 cup Szechwan Peppercorn
- 2-3 whole Cinnamon Stick
- 2 cups Kochukaru
- 2 cups red pepper flakes Crushed
- 3-4 Bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Fennel pollen
- 1/2 cup Harissa
- 1/4 cup Chinese 5-Spice
- 2 cups Fried garlic
Ingredients for Shrimp Dish:
- 5-6 pc’s of 8/12 Kauai Shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- Tbsp salad oil
- 1/2 lb of cold cubed unsalted butter
- 1/2 piece of lemon
- Pinch of chili threads
- Pinch of minced garlic chives
- to garnish Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Cast iron skillet
Lup Cheong Chili Crunch:
- First, take your ground lup cheong sausage, minced ginger, minced shallots and mirin, reduce ingredients over low heat till liquid is almost all reduced, it should have a thick paste consistency, set aside and allow to cool down.
- Second, heat up the salad oil over medium heat and add the whole black pepper, whole coriander, achiote seeds, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, steep these ingredients into hot the oil for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take all the remaining dry ingredients (kochukaru, crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaf, fennel pollen, Harissa, Chinese 5-Spice and spread out on the bottom of a large stainless steel mixing bowl.
- After the oil has reached around 350 degrees take a strainer and carefully pour hot oil over dry ingredients through the strainer making sure to catch all the ingredients that have been steeping in the hot oil, repeat process till all off the oil has been distributed over the dry ingredients that were in the mixing bowl.
- Discard of the ingredients that have were steeping in hot oil.
- Using a wooden spoon thoroughly mix the hot oil and dry ingredient mixture till incorporated.
- Only after the hot oil mixture has cooled down can you now add the wet lup cheong mixture keep folding in till thoroughly mixed, now finally add the fried garlic and mix one more time.
- Preheat a 10 inch nonstick Sauté pan on medium heat 325 degrees.
- Add a tablespoon of salad oil to the pan along with the Kauai Shrimp, season with salt & pepper and cook for approximately 2-3minutes on each side.
- When shrimp begins to turn orange add ¼ cup of chili crunch to the pan and carefully swirl pan to distribute and coat the shrimp with the chili crunch sauce.
- Using mostly the residual heat from the pan add pats of unsalted butter slowly to emulsify and create your pan sauce.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on low flame till a tiny bit of smoke is visible, add the cooked shrimp to the skillet carefully and all of thepans contents over the top of the shrimp.
- Garnish the sizzling shrimp skillet with a half a charred lemon, chili threads, toasted sesame seeds & chopped chives.
- Enjoy as a shared Pupu or with a side of hot steaming rice as an Entrée.
Calories: 21315kcalCarbohydrates: 976gProtein: 133gFat: 2017gSaturated Fat: 209gPolyunsaturated Fat: 561gMonounsaturated Fat: 1211gTrans Fat: 11gCholesterol: 248mgSodium: 16772mgPotassium: 16225mgFiber: 265gSugar: 280gVitamin A: 145384IUVitamin B1: 2mgVitamin B5: 10mgVitamin C: 118mgCalcium: 4558mgIron: 177mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!