On a cold and rainy night, my friend and I were waiting at the airport to pick up her family coming home from Las Vegas. She brought this Thai Herb soup in a thermos for us to enjoy.
Delicious, tangy and very soothing. It just hit the spot.
THAI HERB SOUP
- 1 TB vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, mashed
- 1 stalk lemongrass, 2-inch pieces
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 2 TB each sugar, Aloha shoyu, patis (fish sauce)
- 1/3 c. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 c. each fresh cilantro, fresh Thai basil leaves; chopped
- pinch white pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion, celery, pepper, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in oil.
- Add broth; simmer 15 minutes.
- Strain; return soup to saucepan.
- Discard vegetables.
- Add sugar, soy sauce and patis; simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add lime juice, cilantro, basil and pepper.
How To Serve:
- Serves 2-4.