Chef Adam Tabura makes a classic Hawaii-style preparation of steamed opakapaka.
Chef Adam Tabura’s Steamed Opakapaka
- 2 6 ounce opakapaka fillets
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- Sweet soy reduction
- cilantro, green onion, ginger, chili pepper
Sweet Soy Reduction
- 1 cup sweet Aloha shoyu
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Grated ginger (to preference)
- 1 clove garlic
- Boil water in a pot and place bamboo steamer basket lined with ti leaves over top of pot.
- Place fish filets on ti leaves and steam for 10-15 minutes.
Sweet Soy Reduction:
- Take 1 cup sweet soy sauce, 2 tablespoons mirin, grated ginger and garlic and cook in pan over med high heat for a couple minutes, reduce heat to medium and allow soy sauce to reduce or evaporate until only ½ cup remains.
- Set aside and allow to cool in pan.
- Optional, lay a thin layer of tofu, julienned vegetables, put fish filet on vegetables, top with your favorite julienne vegetables for garnish, glaze with sweet soy reduction.
- Top with hot oil to finish.