We were so blessed to have met such an incredible person and cook and to have the opportunity to eat at her house. She is truly amazing. This is her recipe for stuffed duck as seen on Cooking Hawaiian Style.
Popo June Tong’s Roast Duck w/Stuffing
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- 4 lb. Chinese roast duck
- 1/4 cup baby shrimp (soaked)
- 1/2 cup black dried mushrooms slivered
- 2 cups cooked lup cheong slivered
- 1/2 cup smoked ham slivered
- 1/4 cup raw peanuts chopped
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots diced
- 1/4 cup green onions cut fine
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup pearl barley cooked
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cub chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup Aloha shoyu soy sauce
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- dash MSG
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Soak mushrooms until soft. Parboil, discard hard ends.
- Soak peanuts for 1 hour and discard skins.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven on medium heat.
- Saute the first six stuffing ingredients, then add the rest of the stuffing ingredients and mix well.
- Stuff the duck and sew up the tail opening. Place in dutch oven.
- Combine seasoning sauce and pour over duck. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Turn duck over occasionally for even cooking and coloring.
- Remove duck from dutch oven, cut open and remove stuffing. Arrange stuffing on platter. Chop duck and arrange bite-sized pieces and place over stuffing.
- Thicken sauce with cornstarch mixture over medium high heat. Pour over duck.