This delicious banana coconut lumpia recipe was provided compliments of world famous Chef Chai of Chai’s Island Bistro. Crispy fried spring rolls, crusted with ginger-all spice sugar, served with a fresh wedge of Hawaiian pineapple and Kona Vanilla Bean ice cream.
Rate This Recipe:
- 24 Lumpia Wrapper each
- Banana, cut into 3 1/2" pieces 24 each
- 1/2 c. Sugar Granulated
- 2 tbsp. Egg whites
GINGER-ALLSPICE SUGAR INGREDIENTS: 4 1/2 CUPS
- 4 c. sugar, granulated
- 6 tbsp. Allspice, ground
- 3 tbsp. Ginger, dry and ground
- Lay the sheets of lumpia wrappers out, corner to the top. Roll the banana pieces in sugar until well coated on the exterior shake off excess. Place into the shredded coconut and roll to coat with coconut.
- Place coated banana onto lumpia wrapper at the bottom corner and fold the bottom corner over the top of the banana, tuck under the banana and tighten.
- Baste the two top sides of the lumpia wrapper with egg whites. Take the sides up and stick them to the top of the banana.
- Baste the remaining area of wrapper and roll the banana forward creating a tight, neat spring roll.
Ginger-Allspice Sugar Procedure:
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Gently drop Lumpia into 360* fryer and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain excess oil by laying onto a clean towel.
- Roll in ginger-allspice sugar. Bias cut each spring roll in half, corner to corner.
- On a chilled oval platter, place the Ti leaf across the top of the plate at a slight angle. Squeeze the caramel sauce in a zigzag pattern toward the bottom of the plate, between 6 and 8 o’clock. Place the pineapple boat in the center of the plate across the Ti leaf. Insert the pupu sticks out the top of the pineapple.
- Place the spring rolls on the caramel sauces, two standing and two lying down at the base of the pineapple boat. Serve.