Crack seed stores are becoming less and less visible here. While you can get Pickled Mango year round in some small shops in Chinatown, this is the absolute most looked-forward-to recipe when mango season is here in the islands.Summer time! Sour, salty and sweet.
FAVORITE PICKLED MANGO
- 1 gallon green mangoes, sliced
- 2 TB Hawaiian salt
- 10 li-hing mui seeds, as desired
- 2 TB preserved red ginger, optional
- 6 c. water
- 4 c. brown sugar
- 3 c. white vinegar
- 1/4 c. salt
- 2 TB red food coloring, optional
- Sprinkle mangoes with salt; let stand overnight.
- Rinse and drain; place in jars with seeds.
- Combine syrup ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cool; pour over mangoes.
- Allow to sit 2-3 days.
- Makes 1 gallon.