Melveen Leed shares her family’s recipe for Chicken poi stew, a hearty stew thickened with poi instead of flour and water. You can also watch her make this dish on Cooking Hawaiian Style on OC16.
Melveen Leed’s Chicken Poi Stew
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 round onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bag poi
- chopped green onions
- Cut chicken into cubes.
- Slice green onion stems and celery thinly and set aside.
- Heat pan with oil, add chicken, celery and green onion stems.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 4-5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add bouillon cube, salt and pepper to taste.
- Thicken with poi to your preference.
How To Serve:
- Serve with rice – we served it with Rex's fried rice!! Ono!