A condiment you will find in many households here. Now Maui onions are so readily available on all islands, in all the supermarkets.
We enjoy this as a side dish often time dipped in sea salt, as a topping on hamburgers or, my favorite, to enjoy alongside lau lau and poi.
Marinated Maui Onion Rings
- 2 lbs. large Maui onions, rings
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Habanero pepper, sliced
- 1 TB fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 c. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 water
- 1 tsp. Hawaiian salt
- dash Tabasco, to taste
- In a quart-sized jar; place onions, garlic, peppers and basil.
- In a saucepan over medium heat; bring vinegar, sugar, water, salt and Tabasco to a boil.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Pour over onions; refrigerate overnight.
How To Serve:
- Great added to salads and sandwiches.
- Makes 1 quart.