This recipe was given to me by my close friend’s father, Thomas Yang. I have modified & simplified it over the years. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Chigae (Kim Chee Soup)
- 3/4 – 1 lb. lean belly pork
- 2 cloves garlic, large, crushed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Aloha shoyu
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 pint bottle kim chee, hot (will dilute)
- 1 daikon, small, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 block Konnyaku, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp miso
- 3 stalks green onion, cut 1" length
- 1 block tofu, cut 1" square
- Slice pork thinly, cut into bite size pieces.
- Add vegetable oil to heated pot.
- Add garlic and heat to release aroma.
- Add pork, sesame oil, and shoyu.
- Saute until pork is ¾ cooked.
- Add chicken broth, kim chee with juices, daikon, konnyaku, and miso, and bring to boil again.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until daikon is soft.