Watercress is a popular locally grown vegetable here. A bit larger and firmer than what I see in supermarkets from elsewhere and those sold in Chinatown.
This recipe pairs it with local grown tomato and onion, a spicy dressing adds that final touch.
Watercress And Tomato Salad
- 2 bunches watercress, leaves, 2-inch pieces
- 4 Vine Ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced rounds
- 1 medium Maui onion, thinly sliced rounds
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 6 TB white vinegar
- 6 TB olive oil
- pinch salt, freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Set aside.
- On serving plates; arrange watercress, layer tomatoes and onion.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Optional to blanch watercress in water with 1 TB of dressing.
How To Serve:
- Serves 8.