Blackened-style Ahi while once the big craze in every island restaurant is still very popular. This version of a typical mustard sauce adds some local flavors with the kick of wasabi.
Peppered Ahi With Dijon-Wasabi Sauce
- 2×6 inch ahi block
- 2 TB freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 TB Aloha shoyu
- 1/4 c. Dijon mustard
- 1 TB mirin sake
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 1 TB wasabi paste
- sesame seed oil
- Heat skillet until very hot. In a pie plate, combine pepper, paprika and chili powder; coat ahi block and sear in hot pan, on all sides, about 1 minute.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add ginger, garlic, soy sauce, mustard, and sugar and heat until sugar dissolves, add wasabi paste and season.
- Serves 2.
How To Serve:
- For service: spoon sauce onto serving platter.
- Thinly slice ahi: arrange onto sauce.