Taylor Kellerman from Kualoa Ranch joined us in the Cooking Hawaiian Style kitchen to share his recipe for Shrimp Tacos with Spiced Ulu Chips.
Taylor is the Director of Diversified Agriculture and Land Stewardship at the ranch. He has no small task as he over sees almost 4,000 acres of livestock, aquaculture and the agriculture departments.
Taylor has an extensive background working with Del Monte and Maui Land and Pineapple Company before coming to the ranch.
Rate This Recipe:
Shrimp Tacos with Spiced Ulu Chips by Taylor Kellerman of Kualoa Ranch
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- Corn tortillas
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Spice mix
- 1 small ripe pineapple
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 large ripe papaya
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 small maui onion
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium ulu
- 1 tbsp spice mix
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- Cut the mango, papaya, pineapple and onion into a small dice and add to a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the Cilantro leaves and discard stems, add to the mix.
- Add the juice of one lime Add salt and pepper to taste Mix thoroughly.
- Cut the shrimp into a rough 1 inch chop.
- Combine spice mix with shrimp in a small mixing bowl and let rest .
- Very thinly slice the cabbage and set aside.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to a medium frying pan, once hot add the shrimp and cook.
- Heat tortilla in a pan until pliable and construct taco by adding shrimp, toping with cabbage, and then topping with fresh fruit salsa.
- Cut the top and the bottom off of the ulu, cut into quarters and remove the core.
- Using a mandolin, thinly slice the ulu and add to a fryer.
- Once the chips have turned a golden brown, dump chips into an aluminum bowl and add spice mix and salt.
- Toss chips until thoroughly coated and add as a side to the tacos.