Taegu is a popular Korean appetizer dish, often used in recipes for salads, noodle dishes and pancakes. So popular that almost every seafood department now offers this by the pound along side their poke.
There are many variations of codfish now available at our grocery stores. I like both the shredded codfish as well as the squid strips. Sweet, spicy, you can make this dish as wet or dry as you like. You won’t be able to stop eating this.
Ono Taegu (Seasoned Codfish)
- 10 oz. shredded codfish soaked in water 15 minutes, drained; shredded or
- 10 oz. dried squid strips soaked in water 15 minutes, drained
- 1/4 c. + 2 TB honey as needed
- 3 TB ko choo jang sauce as needed
- 3 TB sesame seed oil
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. gochugaru (Korean red pepper) pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients well.
- Add additional ko choo jang or honey as desired.
- You can make this as wet or dry as you like.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight.
How To Serve:
- Makes 1 1/2 cups.